1. Air Fresheners
There are chemicals in air fresheners called phthalates that may lead to imbalances in hormones and reproduction. According to research, side effects in men can include decreased sperm count, lower testosterone levels and sperm quality. Testicular cancer and deformed male reproductive tracts can be results of exposure to the phthaltes.
2. Non-stick Cookware
Non-stick cookware has been produced with chemicals proven to be harmful to the thyroid, liver and immune system. Studies have shown that the main culprit is perfluorooctanoic acid or PFOA, which isn’t found in glass, ceramic, stainless steel or iron pans and pots.
3. Antibacterial Soap
This product sounds really good for you, but it isn’t. There is a component called triclosan that alters hormone regulation and also may assist in the bacteria being able to resist antibiotics. The best way to fight against the spreading of germs is to wash your hands with water and natural soap.
4. Toilet Bowl Cleaners
These are some of the most dangerous cleaning items that can be found in your home, this is due to the corrosive ingredients found in the toilet bowl cleaners. The most hazardous of these ingredients is hydrochloric acid which can result in eye pain and skin burns after contact, if inhaled, damage can occur in the kidneys and respiratory tract.
5. Gas Space Heaters
Toxins are released into the air from anything that is powered by gas and can be especially lethal if it’s indoors as the carbon monoxide build up is deadly.
6. Scented Candles
They smell great but are deadly. The chemical known as benzene may irritate the skin and cause respiratory issues. Also listed as side effects are reproductive issues and damage to the central nervous system and brain. As the scented candles burn they release toluene another harmful carcinogen.
7. Oven Cleaners
Sodium Hydroxide is the problem with oven cleaners, this is corrosive, if ingested it is toxic and results in redness and skin burns if it comes in contact with the skin.
8. Dish Sponge
Known as the dirtiest item in the kitchen, the sponge is more than 150,000 times dirtier than the toilet seat. The sponge can result in paralysis because of the bacteria called campylobacter. The sponge should be replaced every week as fecal bacteria from raw meat can fester in the moist environment.